Biotech body snatchers. A genetically “inferior” underclass. Increased terrorist attacks. Futurists will “make it so.“
(Marketing buzzword alert: “Futuring,” a verb, is the act of exploring of the future, according to those who do it. Photo: Futurist Thornton A. May flashes the three-finger “Sustainability Symbol.” More about this strange hand signal shortly. Credit: Dragonpreneur, under a Creative Commons license.)
A new book by a futurist and adviser to three U.S. presidents portrays a horrific near future scenario filled with body snatchers, a booming “neuromarket” for false memory implants, and a self-aware internet that rebels against humanity.
The author of “The Extreme Future,” James Canton, Ph.D. (below), was a student of Alvin Toffler, according to Publisher’s Weekly. He will be speaking at the U.S. Army War College this fall, at a conference aimed not at predicting, but shaping, the future.
“The goal of futuring (exploring the future) is not to predict the future but to improve it,” reads a quote from futurist Edward Cornish, on the U.S. Army War College’s website.
For more about how futurists plan our futures, see these blurbs and broadcasts by Alan Watt.
Bloggers from the military and intel communities are talking about the book. Here is an excerpt from one dot-mil blog:
(Dr.) Canton…includes “Top Ten” lists detailing everything from Energy Trends to Robo-Futures.
In THE EXTREME FUTURE, Dr. James Canton predicts that:
• The high cost of oil will force the West to invent new alternatives to oil and lead to depressed OPEC economies, leading to more terrorism against the West
• Radical life extension will create a two-class global society of those who live over 150 years and of those who cannot afford to
• The Internet will develop an awareness of itself and its own personality and rebel against human controls
• Human cloning will become the ultimate in identity theft
• A nuclear exchange between Pakistan and India is more likely then not
• Copy-cat products from Asia—from drugs to auto parts—will perform better then the original branded products they’re based on
• Radical life extension will reshape entire markets and society
• The new global Innovation Economy will deliver widespread prosperity and wealth